Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sulphur Spring 100miler



So I have talked about this for a while and finally after discussions with Coach Derrick and my family, yesterday I registered for my first 100 mile race. I am trying not to think of it as 100 miles, but 8x20km loops. Last year I ran the 50mile at Sulphur and really enjoyed the course and it seemed like the perfect fit for my quest for my first Belt Buckle.

Derrick had given me one more week of recovery, and to get rid of this everlasting cold before we kick off training. I am nervous of what is in front of me and know I will need to focus more, and put more effort into recovery than I ever have before. There are only 14 weeks between now and then so anything I can do to prevent injuries and be ready for the next workout will be monumental.

I plan to resurrect my weekly training updates so I can log the craziness, so stand by.

One other note, part of the reason for registering yesterday, Valentine's Day, was it had been 13 years since my Father passed away. I haven't really thought of him when it came to races, as it was after he died that I took up this obsession. Still yesterday, while thinking of him, I got the courage to register - so this will be run in his memory.

3 comments:

Sara Montgomery said...

Well, this is interesting! Looking forward to following your training this spring.

A nice tribute to your Father.

Johnny said...

Very exciting. I'm sure you're going to do well. I'm running the 50M at Sulphur, so I'll cheer you on.

JD said...

That's a new development! You're such a strong runner, I have no doubt you will crush it.